Le Festival 1001 Visages de la caricature
We take humor seriously !
4, 5 and 6 October, 2019 in Val-David
The Festival 1001 Visages de la caricature will once more be hosted in Val-David throughout 4, 5 and 6 October, 2019 and the framework for this year features participants from the surrounding area with the intention of nurturing the festival’s depth and growth in the years ahead. This 14th edition has numerous activities related to the art of caricature, of interest to all as well as those who particularly enjoy this art form.
The program features:
- Adaman Diongo, from Mali, the director of the Festival international de la bande dessinée et de la caricature de Bamako, who will give us a resumé on the state of caricature in west Africa.
- An exhibition of works of West african artists will be displayed.
- Michael de Adder, the editorial cartoonist from New Brunswick recently headlined worldwide in the news about his departure from his newspaper due to a satirical piece on Donald Trump will be with us, filling us in on that firsthand, as well as participating in the exhibition.
- Yves Demers, this year’s guest of honour, will be showing a series of Val-David’s heritage buildings in his inimitable style.
- The annual round table will be hosted by Rachel Chagnon, law professor at UQAM, with Michael de Adder and Adama Diongo, who will give us their take on freedom of expression within a structure permitting a back-and-forth between conference attendees and the public.
- Christian Vachon, curator of collections and conservationist at the McCord Museum, will be showing a collection of caricatures concerning the environment.
- Pierre Skilling, from the Service de la recherche à la bibliothèque de l’Assemblée nationale is presenting “Coups de crayon”, the history of political satire in Québec through drawings.
- Caricature exhibition of invited artists and caricatures by Cédric Loth that appeared in the Ski-Se-Dit paper.
- Conferences with professionals, meeting artists and talking about their path, their vision on humorous caricature and illustration, their artistic journey, and much, much more.
- Entertainment geared toward children, so bring the kids along!
- Music will have its place, with live musicians sharing the spotlight with illustrators.
Caricatures drawn on the spot, always well-appreciated and a favourite for many, is returning on October 5 and 6, with festival-goers taken to task by Wes Tyrell, Robert Lafontaine, Yves Demers, David Chavez, Martin Bouchard, Gag, Pierre Drysdale, Marc Pageau, Madame Croquis, Ferg Gadzala and other caricaturists.
Actors and comedians, on stage and walking amongst the crowd, are bringing their madcap antics to highlight the light-hearted nature of the event.
And PREMIERING THIS YEAR, a musical and improvised caricature smackdown opens the festival on Friday, October 4 at 8 PM, all of this in collaboration with the Ligue d’improvisation musicale des Laurentides.
One more feature gracing this year’s event is the fact that by the long-nosed Sproutes, mammals known to be higher up the evolutionary ladder than mere humans, will be offering us Sproutebire, a special concoction dating over 1001 years, brewed especially for us by the microbrewery le Baril Roulant.
We extend our invitation to you, to spend the weekend at this festival unlike any other in North America.
- Friday, October 4, 2019, 8 PM: Opening of the festival within a unique improvisational caricature and musical tug-of-war Tickets $10
- Saturday, October 5, 2019, 10 AM to 7 PM:Open to the public, all ages Tickets $2 for 2 days, families $5 (one ticket is good for both days)
- Sunday, October 6, 2019, 10 AM to 6 PM: Open to the public, all ages Tickets $2 for 2 days, families $5
- Satellite events during the month of october include sessions and art formation for professionals and the general public (more info on the web site)